Monday, January 23, 2012

Challenge 63: A Bad Dream


242. Describe a recurring dream.

I'm falling. I don't know if it is from a cliff or just from my bed. But it happens. Again and again. I fall and fall, into darkness, into nothingness. There is nobody around me. It is all dark and black. I'm not even sure if there is a sky above me or if there is a ground that I will eventually meet. I am unsure. I cannot smell anything or taste anything. It is frustrating to not know what is happening. I do not see my hands and feet. I'm not even sure if it is me falling. Or maybe I am just watching somebody else fall. No, but I do feel something and it is sickening. I don't know why I even remember that feeling. I have only jumped once from a cliff and that took so much courage. I thought that feeling had already disappeared into my busy life. But it comes out in that dream, that feeling. It is the worst of all. I feel like my heart has jumped into my throat. I feel like my stomach has taken my heart's place. I feel like all the organs inside my body are displaced and malfunctioning. I feel like there is going to be no ending to this feeling. Oh, how badly I wish someone would catch me, hold my hands, and pull me back upwards. Then, I wake up all of a sudden. I find myself gripping the side of my bed, my hands sweaty and arms tired. I do not know what has happened, but waking up from the dream, I feel safe and reassured. No, it’s not the end of the world. I smile to myself and try to fall back asleep. I think to myself. Maybe this dream means something. Maybe it’s showing me how bad things can get. Maybe it’s telling me to keep looking for something, searching for something to rescue me. Maybe it wants me to know that familiar things can disappear and I might get lost. However, I just have to find my way back. Maybe it’s telling me that in the midst of nothingness, there is still a hope, a hope of waking up. But, on the other hand, it could just be a bad dream. 

No comments: