Monday, January 30, 2012

Challenge 73: Telepathy

21. If you had the gift of telepathy, the ability to read other people’s minds, would you use this gift or not? Explain. (Middle East Technical University/93)


There have been several moments in my life when all I wanted really at that point was to read the other person's mind. The situation made it so that I could not tell at all what she was thinking. I wanted to know so badly what was going through her mind when she said those words. But now, I think that I was better off not knowing what she was thinking. Telepathy would be a useful tool in vital situations, as in the case of Edward Cullen for all those Twilight fans. However, reading other people's mind is like going through their stuff: it's offensive. Reading other people's mind is invading their privacy. There must be something that the person has in her mind that she doesn't want you to know and there must be a reason for that. And if you read her mind out of curiosity, you are not respecting her or her thoughts. There are some things that are buried deep inside my mind which I try not to think about. I don't want people to know these thoughts and these feelings because they are private. I would feel betrayed and disappointed if somebody tried to read these thoughts. And I imagine it will be the same for many people. There are some things that others shouldn't know and it’s better left that way. People talk about how they could do childish things with this gift if it existed, like cheating in exams or winning a heated argument. However, they fail to realize that this kind of dishonesty will not carve out their success in life.
I refuse to believe that I am the kind of person who will manipulate power. But, we don’t know what we are made of until the situation presents itself, until our characters are tested. So, another reason I wouldn’t use the gift of telepathy is because this gift may unleash the worst within me. 

No comments: