Sunday, January 29, 2012

Challenge 67: A Novel

48. Name one book you have read in the past year, describe your reason for considering this book significant and what you gained from reading it. (Lewis and Clark College)

I thought I wouldn't read it when I checked it out from the library for the holidays, but just two or three weeks later, I found myself deeply engrossed in the adventurous world of these two girls. I finished the novel in just three days. The name? Well, you may know of it: Shanghai Girls. The book is about, well, two sisters from "modern" Shanghai in the first half of the nineteenth century (around 1940s). After a surprising turn of events, the girls are forced to retire from their exquisite and wealthy lives in the Paris of Asia and flee to the West where they are married off to strangers and have to adjust to the poverty and discrimination they face in their new home: Chinatown. The significance of this novel is fabricated within the main theme, and that is the deep bond between the sisters. It fascinates me to read about how they went through the worst that life has to offer, and yet, they survived, only because they had each other to rely on. There are many situations that are so extreme and so difficult that it almost led me to believe that the ties between the two were finally going to break. However, I was proved wrong when, again, with their determination and confidence, they overcome the situation and move forward. By reading this book, I gathered a better idea about what life was like during the times of war for an immigrant. I learned about the limits people reached just in order to keep on living a life. I learned about what discrimination was like to Chinese immigrants and how this severely effected their lives, whether it be not getting an education in a standard English-speaking school because of their nationality or whether it be being sued by American officers for reading a communism-based newspaper. Also, the strong relationship that the two sisters shared made me think about the relationship with my own sister. At home, we constantly get into little arguments that leaves the both of us frustrated and irritated at each other. But, at the end of the day, we sit side by side, yanking out each other's hair and teasing each other, while still making the best of what this sisterly relationship has to offer. 

No comments: